Susan and Mike at the replica of the Gaillard Plaque.
The Gaillard Memorial Plaque is a bronze tablet dedicated to the memory of Lt. Col. David DuBose Gailllard, head engineer of the Central Division, which carried out excavation of the Cut from July 1908 to July 1913.
The scene on the plaque symbolic of the removal of the last shovelful of earth from the Cut. Two steam shovels are shown in the background, while two heroic-size figures in the foreground of the scene remove the last shovelful of dirt from the bottom of the Cut.
The Gaillard Plaque now resides at the bottom of the Administration Building steps in Balboa -- in close proximity to the Goethals Memorial.