Our next stop was to Biblián to see the beautiful church, Our Lady of Rocio, which was built into the side of the cliff.

In the early 1890s, when southern Ecuador had suffered a three-year drought and famine, the town of Biblián asked parish priest, Daniel Muñoz, to hold an intercessory procession to the Virgin through the streets. But instead Padre Muñoz took the procession to the location he had seen in a dream. In the company of the faithful he climbed a thousand feet up Zhalao hill with a small image of the Virgin and Child, the work of French sculptors, and placed it in a mountain grotto at 6 am on Saturday, January 20, 1894, with prayers for rain. The miracle occurred, and the next dawn found the fields around Biblián covered with dew; from then on, rains, flowers and fruits abounded, and the thanful people called the Virgin, "Our Lady of the Dew."

An impressive sanctuary has been build on the site. During the centennial celebration, January 20, 1994, the statue was canonically crowned.

Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In